Music Banter - View Single Post - light guitars
Thread: light guitars
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

As said above, strats are not heavy guitars. Some (A lot of) les pauls weigh twice as much as the average strat.

I would take the advice and either work on building up a bit, get a wider strap with a bit of padding, change your stance, and hike the guitar up. Or of course you could do all of these things. If you look around, there are plenty of very very slightly built guys using les pauls with no issues, and strats too.

The absolute LAST place I would look to make a change is in the guitar, since for one, they don't really get much lighter, and for two, the weight of a guitar has a VERY big effect on its tone and sustain. Theres a very good reason les pauls are so heavy, and its because that helps it sustain, and gives it that big, full character in the tone.

The only way to get good sustain out of a light guitar, is to build it as a maple neckthru, which makes its body heavier anyway, and then to give it basswood wings. This is all well and good but you'll find the resulting guitar is almost unusable because its so incredibly BRIGHT. It'll be like playing a guitar made of a swarm of bees itll be so harsh in the treble.

Edit - Also, light woods like basswood are VERY easy to damage. If you pick up an old ibanez from the 80s made of basswood, and look at the tremolo posts, you'll probably notice the holes those studs sit in, aren't perfectly round anymore, the stud will have moved forward slightly because the wood is so soft it can't take the ~200lbs of tension the strings put on the guitar. THe exceptions to this is if the guitar has been strung with very light guage strings for a long time, but that only makes the guitar more and more bright, increases the risk of string breakage, and generally thins out the tone, so you'll probably find thats not for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote