Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

As said above, strats are not heavy guitars. Some (A lot of) les pauls weigh twice as much as the average strat.

I would take the advice and either work on building up a bit, get a wider strap with a bit of padding, change your stance, and hike the guitar up. Or of course you could do all of these things. If you look around, there are plenty of very very slightly built guys using les pauls with no issues, and strats too.

The absolute LAST place I would look to make a change is in the guitar, since for one, they don't really get much lighter, and for two, the weight of a guitar has a VERY big effect on its tone and sustain. Theres a very good reason les pauls are so heavy, and its because that helps it sustain, and gives it that big, full character in the tone.

The only way to get good sustain out of a light guitar, is to build it as a maple neckthru, which makes its body heavier anyway, and then to give it basswood wings. This is all well and good but you'll find the resulting guitar is almost unusable because its so incredibly BRIGHT. It'll be like playing a guitar made of a swarm of bees itll be so harsh in the treble.

Edit - Also, light woods like basswood are VERY easy to damage. If you pick up an old ibanez from the 80s made of basswood, and look at the tremolo posts, you'll probably notice the holes those studs sit in, aren't perfectly round anymore, the stud will have moved forward slightly because the wood is so soft it can't take the ~200lbs of tension the strings put on the guitar. THe exceptions to this is if the guitar has been strung with very light guage strings for a long time, but that only makes the guitar more and more bright, increases the risk of string breakage, and generally thins out the tone, so you'll probably find thats not for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 9
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratkid View Post
well after 30 min of practicing standing up, my neck and shoulder start to hurt.



sorry to laugh!

you need to get a heavy guitar, practise more often standing up.
and stop being a p*ssy.
not trying to be mean, but it has to be said.
look at the size of Angus Young and the way he goes at it on stage.
an SG is not heavy but heavier than a strat. also i've seen Angus
manage a 335 on stage, and that guitar was almost bigger than him.
sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheraton View Post
sorry to laugh!

you need to get a heavy guitar, practise more often standing up.
and stop being a p*ssy.
not trying to be mean, but it has to be said.
look at the size of Angus Young and the way he goes at it on stage.
an SG is not heavy but heavier than a strat. also i've seen Angus
manage a 335 on stage, and that guitar was almost bigger than him.
Sorry to laugh!

You need to get a hello kitty guitar, practice more often not sucking.
and stop being a w*nker.
Not trying to be mean, but it has to be said.
Look at the size of John Petrucci and the way he goes at it onstage.
An IBZ Petrucci is not heavy but lighter than a strat. Also I've seen petrucci
manage a musicman onstage, and that guitar is much smaller than him.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Groupie
 
stratkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: mesquite tejas
Posts: 18
Default

ok sheraton you don't have to be an ass. angus young is short but maybe 150 lbs?? somewhere around there, im barely pushing 105 lbs. angus young is a professional...i am not.
Anyways i still replaced my strat (sold it to my brother) for an Ibanez RG series, for the fact that i play more metal, and its more suited for that genre. It weighs the same as the strat but i got a wider cushioned strap...helps alot!! thanks guys for the advice.
__________________
Javier.
stratkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,721
Default

How can someone think to be an ass for a question like this? This is a truly legitimate question for someone getting into guitar, and one I had myself when first starting out.

****ing attention whores.

Anyways, seems like all the good advice has been said. Stick to what people posted here, stratkid, and you can't go wrong.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratkid View Post
ok sheraton you don't have to be an ass. angus young is short but maybe 150 lbs?? somewhere around there, im barely pushing 105 lbs. angus young is a professional...i am not.
Anyways i still replaced my strat (sold it to my brother) for an Ibanez RG series, for the fact that i play more metal, and its more suited for that genre. It weighs the same as the strat but i got a wider cushioned strap...helps alot!! thanks guys for the advice.
sounds good. GB will be pleased to learn that there's a new Ibanez player on the site

we're happy to answer any other questions as they arise (even if we sometimes seem a little rough around the edges with some replies).
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
sounds good. GB will be pleased to learn that there's a new Ibanez player on the site

we're happy to answer any other questions as they arise (even if we sometimes seem a little rough around the edges with some replies).
Ibanez? Oh yes.

Though admittedly, I'm runnin further and further towards 'I NEED A CUSTOM', as opposed to being excited by the ibbys these days.

Though the new, European/Japanese only RGA427 looks very nice indeed...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

GB, how do you feel about this interview?

__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i know you're addressing GB but there's so little of that interview that doesn't resonate 100% within me it's eerie. most definitely in regards to forging your own sound and wow is he ever spot on when he starts talking Hendrix.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i know you're addressing GB but there's so little of that interview that doesn't resonate 100% within me it's eerie. most definitely in regards to forging your own sound and wow is he ever spot on when he starts talking Hendrix.
Word. Homme is one of my idols because of the way he looks at the music he makes.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.