Music Banter - View Single Post - What is the size of your physical and digital music collection?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #258 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
There're too small intervals on the larger quantities and too big intervals on the smaller.
Actually, when I made these, I wanted them to be comparable in a sense that you could use them in statistics. If I had done what you suggest and make the song span of the groups progressively larger, you would make the categories less comparable and actually lose a lot of information.

Dealing with the two first smaller categories is simple because you can just add them together to make one ranging from 1 to 4999 which is about the same range as any of the others (also explains why they're not f.ex from 1 to 2999 and then 3000 to 5999). Making them increasingly large in the other end wouldn't make much sense, though I can see why one might think it does The thing is we know there are some people who have way larger collections than others - we know there are statistical outliers. If we make supergroups spanning many more songs than the ones the averages fall into that we toss the outliers in, we lose a lot of information about them and they really are the most interesting.

.. But if you have any good arguments as to why you think I should do what you suggest, I'll read and consider.