Music Banter - View Single Post - Bass level overkill rant.
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Daktari
Music Addict

Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia

Good Friday morning to all,

V.F. Maybe I gave the wrong impression but what I'm saying is that although engineers and mixing experts get a good mix on the record, it is the way the music is re-produced mainly in a live concert situation or as the example of the kids in their cars that I'm talking about.

There is a definate obsession for overkill on the bass side on the reproduction of the recorded music. If I play a Gregory Isaacs cd at home and turn it up, the bass is gonna be loud. That's the way it was meant to be. However, I can still hear the vocal track and all the top end percussiony stuff going on. That's what makes it good to listen to. Then, if I go to a concert and the bottom end is so overpowering that all that intricate percussion , the guitar, the vocals, etc, etc, are lost in the muddy bass, then I'm gonna be disapointed.

The young guy I mentioned earlier with his boom, boom, car set up summed up this obsession or trend when he told me he just bought music nowadays that he knew would give him that heavy, deep bass when he turned it up in his car. All his recent collection of music was based on that..

To me, that's just a shame because choosing your music based on that ruling is a move away from music itself. He might as well go and listen to a bunch of guys building a road, cos they can sound pretty loud and bassy too.

Have a great weekend, Gordon.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote