Music Banter - View Single Post - VeggieLovers Journey into Lyrics and Poetry
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
VeggieLover
Music?! Lets boogie!

Thanks for replying. The song is more about how we've become so desensitized (i think that's the word?) to both the beauty and the pain in the world than a specific person learning how to express pain (although, that could certainly be a part of it.) Autumn is both tragic and beautiful, but both qualities no longer suprise (the vast majority of) us. In the same way, it's possible to observe girls of my age (not me specifically) being taught to either hide or hide behind the tragic beauty of developing and changing emotional balance (or inbalance). The chorus' inversion of questions was purposeful... "who is now:" who is important to be with right now? what if that person what going to die tomorrow, would you live differently? "When am I:" A personal question... when am i living? the past present or future? It's important for me to remember to live NOW. "hows the way to cry" another personal reference, I literally had to teach myself to let myself be weak enough to cry, tho this could also refer to the general theme of desensitisation.
In this song, "beauty burns" literally means that beauty is capable of burning, that it can and will disappear if we continue to take it for granted. Beauty could catch on fire, and we'd probably just watch it burn instead of trying to save it.
I had a deadline to write this song and i think i tried to combine too many ideas into one song for the sake of being finished. If i replaced the second verse with:
"A new and fragile blossom
Greats the new day's sun
With tired eyes, taught to despise
The race we've got to run"
would that make the message more clear or more muddled? Also, is the "yesterday" reference confusing to the intended theme of the song?

And i know you find the old words destracting, and on paper, i agree that they are... but when i sing them i don't think they stand out so much, agian, that's just the way i talk and it sounds natural coming out of my mouth. Most of the time i get complements on my old fashioned word choice (from my peers).
"Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."
VeggieLover is offline   Reply With Quote