Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #103 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
It was a critically well received album that went 2x platinum. It was released in 1991 when alternative rock was exploding onto the scene and Soundgarden is one of those pioneers of the Seattle grunge sound.
Heh. Yes, I was in high school when it was released and I remember the era very well. I also remember that Soundgarden was definitely seen as more of a second-tier alternative band at the time. True it went double platinum eventually but I doubt that happened in 1991, it more likely happened slowly over time. As far as the critical response goes, I don't remember it being hailed as really spectacular back then. Maybe I'm wrong, but looking it up on Wikipedia I see a couple B's in the critical reception area so maybe I'm not far off.

Quote:
Maybe it is not a classic on the same level as Siamese Dream and I should have said Nevermind
I'm not sure what "a classic on the same level as Siamese Dream" means. I was always under the impression that even Smashing Pumpkins fans considered Siamese Dream kind of a weak album.

Quote:
(Warning: tangent)

What determines when an album has not "aged well"? I see this written all the time and was wondering what is meant by that phrase. Thanks...
It just means it sounds very of it's time and not in a good way.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote