Music Banter - View Single Post - VeggieLovers Journey into Lyrics and Poetry
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
New song! It's still pretty rough, but here it is. Despite the seriousness of topic, the chords ( G and Am something something mostly) are rather upbeat, and the lyrics a little bit humorous (all puns are intended!) tell me what you think
"I gotta bone to pick with you"

Hey whats up? How do ya do?
I've seen ya hangin' around.
Sit up straight, and wipe that grin
Right off'ya silly face
Cause I've gotta somethin', somethin' to say:
Death I've got a bone to pick with you

Well I've been thinkin' we could maybe get along
If you'd keep away;
Bundle up yer sickle and your deadly song
And treat my friends the same.
But if you're gonna laugh that way at me,
Death I've got a bone to pick with you

Well you've got certain sick kind of appeal
That I know can't, can't be real
Gotta find that fountain, the Sorcerer's Stone
Death you're gonna hav'ta leave me alone

You've taken way too many military men
And I can no longer hold my Daddy's hand
I kicked your ugly hands off'a my best friend
So death I gotta bone to pick with you
yes death I gotta bone to pick with you

Well you've got certain sick kind of appeal
That I know can't, can't be real
Gotta find that fountain, the Sorcerer's Stone
Death you're gonna hav'ta leave me alone
Just leave me alone
Cute song, Veggie! I do feel joking about death is actually a good way to make peace with it. So, it is nice to hear a non-serious (but underneath serious) song about death. Your song is also a nice, short length.

I'm always sad thinking about your dad. I like knowing enough about you to see some of the personal elements in, and inspiration for, your song.

The fountain refers to the fountain of youth, right? The Sorcerer's Stone...argh...all I can think of is Harry Potter! What's the story about the original sorcerer's stone?

Why can't the appeal of death be real? What do you feel is the sick sort of appeal of death? I felt a little as if these lines were used mostly because they rhyme, because when I try to think whether what they mean makes sense to me, I'm not sure. Is the appeal of death that it would end all life's troubles?

Your song reminds me of a German song I liked when I lived there. The German song was about troubles. The singer sings to his troubles (in German, so it all rhymes): "Good morning, my dear troubles. Are you also still here? Did you also sleep well?" You both use the same humorous technique of dealing with a serious, non-physical subject as if it were a person.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote