Music Banter - View Single Post - The Hate for Ska
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #86 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

For the first 5 or 6 years of their musical career, the Wailers were a ska group. So to the person who was adamant about Bob Marley not being a ska artist: you're just plain wrong about that. Bob Marley played ska music for almost as many years as he played reggae but Marley was one of the few ska artists that successfully made the transition into reggae music, when reggae music came to the fore-front of the Jamaican music scene in the mid Seventies.

One person said that reggae is a sub-genre of ska but it's a weak argument because ska existed a long time before reggae music came around. Any music historian will tell you that ska couldn't possibly be a sub-genre of reggae because ska was at the root form of music that reggae music evolved from. It would be as ludicrous as arguing that funk music is a sub-genre of hip hop. Technically reggae is a sub-genre of ska but reggae music was far more successful on a global basis. The first wave of ska music in the 60s and early 70s didn't have much of an audience outside of Jamaica and certain areas of London England.

Most people who categorically dismiss an entire genre of music usually do so because of lack of exposure to the musical form. I'm not particularly crazy about heavy metal but I'll also admit that I'm woefully ignorant of the heavy metal genre. It's foolish for me to say, "I hate heavy metal" because I lack the musical expertise to pass judgement. My knowledge of heavy metal doesn't go much beyond earliest hm bands like Hawkwind, Blue Cheer, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple all of whom I like as bands. For me, life is too short to be an all around musical expert and I currently have my hands full exploring the mysteries of Brazilian music which has about as many distinct genres as British and American pop music.

A lot of the 3rd Wave ska music sounds derivative and unorignal to my ears so I can understand why someone would complain about it, but that's not the case with the 2nd (1978-1985) UK Wave and the 1st Jamaican (1960-1974) Wave. The very best of ska is the 1st Wave but most of that music was recorded under primative conditions and the production values sound horrible to a person who was born and raised during the digital era where the musical production values are usually flawless. I'm used to low tech production values because I grew up listening to my father's old 78 rpm 1930s era recordings of delta blues masters like Blind Blake, Skip James and Mississippi John Hurt. For those of you who can't get beyond the poor sound quality of the earlisest ska the recordings of the Specials, Madness and Selector on the 2-Tone label are great 2nd Wave recordings that should be heard by one and all
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote