Music Banter - View Single Post - Gender Segregation In Schools
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Definitely, a fascist worse than Hitler and Stalin combined!!!

The article asks, "But is teaching gender-specific etiquette perpetuating what some consider sexist traditions?"

The answer is simple: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If boys are being taught to pull out chairs for girls, then the opposite should be taught, too: girls should show respect for boys by opening the door for them, etc.

The whole premise of that teacher's etiquette lessons is that women are some weak, delicate creatures who must be coddled and cherished. While it certainly isn't wrong to cherish and protect other people, and respecting others by showing you genuinely are concerned about their well-being is wonderful, to direct this behavior toward girls/women only is patronising.

The second problem with that article, boo boo, is that it assumes people in society are losing the ability to respect others. Last time I checked, back in the 1950s in the U.S., racist Jim Crow laws were alive and well, people couldn't be open about their sexuality, and women couldn't control whether or not they have children.

In my view, people are much more respectful toward others now in the U.S., at least, than in the past. I feel that the belief that there has been an increase in "disrespectfulness" toward others is a myth. Where respect really counts...in civil liberties that allow us to live and let live...people are *much* more respectful now than in the past.
Well, we're a LOT less respectful in social etiquette, but yeah, that's not as big of a deal when compared to civil rights.

Though, I do get tired of the internet and the media's sanctification of total c*ntbaggery.

I mean just look at the kind of people we are making celebrities out of right now. Walking, talking Italian stereotypes who like to kill boredom by randomly PUNCHING WOMEN IN THE MOTHERF*CKING FACE!

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 03-14-2010 at 05:38 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote