Music Banter - View Single Post - right wing punk?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #143 (permalink)
scottsy
Untalented Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman976 View Post
I hate politics in music. That's not why I listen to it. Obviously a lot of punk is politically driven to the left, but I listen because of the catchy riffs, simple chord progressions, good vocals, etc. I stopped going to the Warped Tour (after 7 years straight) simply due to half the bands vomiting their political propaganda on stage, instead of picking up their guitars and rocking out already!
As a Staunch Midnight Oil fan from waaaay back, i do believe there is a strong place for Politics in popular music. From it's very beginnings it made political impacts and often, whether intended or not, had political impacts... look at how polarizing Elvis was and how conservatives reacted to him... it was nothing short of a gigantic outrage! So whether or not you like it, if you impact the public in a massive way, you're bound to enter the political realm in some way.... it's because politics is about people and how the world is governed and what communities deem acceptable...

And hey if you have a great positive message why not use your unique place in the public eye to do some good... prove you're not some scrubby kid whosse head is full of irrelevant stupid thoughts... I'm ok with that.

If you don't like bands having thoughts, just tune out and go buy a beer between songs... or start listening to throwaway pop tunes...