Music Banter - View Single Post - right wing punk?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #150 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
While my evidence does not specifically prove it to be factual, it can be inferred to be true or very close to true.
The Penguin Encyclopedia of American History (2005 edition) was where I got my statistics on slavery.... under the "Slavery" topic, :P The rest is just a result of having "Anthropology: Social Stratification" as a minor.

Quote:
I'm just saying that even if it proves what he was saying, it doesn't mean very much.
(&)

lol. No it means only a few people in the South were super-rich.
It means that any notion of collective guilt on the part of whites is asinine, and - as you hint - it's more of an issue of class than race. To use a bit of vulgar historical materialism, the era of slavery in the USA, with the exception of the latter years, was bound to happen - the proto-capitalist and the still dominant mercantilist economy necessitated slavery. Racism was a by-product of this necessity... racism was a result of slavery, not a cause.

Quote:
And when one considers whether or not they are "bringing it upon themselves" one has to consider the context in terms of both conviction rates among blacks versus whites for the same crime and the differences in poverty level between the races.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the point of conviction rates - wouldn't individuals from black majority neighborhoods tend to have black majority jury, as well? As jury duty is tied to where you vote...

Quote:
That's true, but you're ignoring the fact that there are many black Americans alive today who experienced segregation firsthand,
You're forgetting that segregations effects weren't universal in the African American community. Some blacks were forced into povery because of it; some profitted handsomely from it. Further, you're forgetting that segregation's negative economic effects weren't limited to the black community - it harmed working class whites as well.