Music Banter - View Single Post - Crossover thrash appreciation thread
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
Are there any current crossover bands, or are the new bands who play in the style now called "Powerviolence'?
PV is completely distinct from crossover, PV evolved out of the fast hardcore (thrashcore) of stuff like early DRI, siege, capitalist casualties, etc., but it uses more extreme tempo, generally: really fast hardcore alternating with sludge metal (instead of the mid-tempo thrash metal elements of crossover), essentially, and a lot of PV also uses noise elements. i'm guessing the confusion arises mainly because bands like DRI and cryptic slaughter put out both crossover thrash and thrashcore material, and because early PV is generally closer to thrashcore than newer PV is. and that isn't even touching on the ideological differences between PV and crossover, which are pretty big.

so in short, no, modern crossover bands aren't called powerviolence... at least not by those who understand both. the simplest way to put it is that PV is more extreme than crossover. its more similar to grindcore. best i illustrate by example i suppose, you just have to listen to it and you figure it out.

modern PV

modern crossover (which i am somewhat less familiar with than PV so excuse the uninspired example)

Last edited by CAPTAIN CAVEMAN; 04-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote