Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #2507 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I agonized over the CCR nomination. I think Fortunate Son was the greatest anti-Vietnam rock anthem ever written. Suzy Q. and I Put A Spell on You were both early masterworks of garage style psychedlica. Have You Ever Seen the Rain?, Lodi, Looking Out My Back Door, & Who'll Stop the Rain predated the roots rock of later aritists like Wilco, Ryan Adams, the Blasters & Steve Earle. Those contributions favor a "yes" vote of a CCR nomination.

The biggest reason for a "no" is this list of far more significant bands from the roughly the same era (1967-1977) who haven't even been nominated for the Hall of Fame

The Band (as in Music From Big Pink)
The Grateful Dead
The Jefferson Airplane
Brian Eno
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Janis Joplin (or Big Brother and the Holding Company)
Arthur Lee & Love
The Byrds (Inventors of both country rock & folk rock)
Taj Mahal
Cream
Roxy Music
Joni Mitchell
The Doors
Eric Burdon & the Animals
Fairport Convention
Jethro Tull
John Cale
Ry Cooder
David Bowie
Moby Grape
Van Morrisson
Patti Smith
Sandy Denny

I've only seen 8 of the 16 bands on my list live but I know all their recorded works like I know the lines on the palm of my hand. I love Credence Clearwater Revival but CCR was a 2nd tier band whose musical legacy fall short of the artists I've listed above. There may be a place for CRR in the Hall of Fame, but it would be a travesty to nominate and induct CRR prior to consideration of the artists I've listed

For that reason I'm voting "no" on the CCR nomination but I'm not ruling out a "yes" vote at some point in the future after there's an up or down vote on some of CCR's more worthy musical peers from that era.