Music Banter - View Single Post - What is the size of your physical and digital music collection?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #280 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I have no idea the exact amount of music I have. According to my music file properties I used 306 gigbytes hard drive space for music and I have 75,822 individual music files on my hard drive. I recently purchased a computer with a 1 terabyte hard drive specifically to migrate most of tangible music collection to my computer which is hooked up to my stereo rig, my sound board, and all of my tangible recording and music prodction gear. With everything hooked up to my computer I can listen to music, record music, remix music, broadcast music, film videos, produce & edit videos and even watch television in one seamless process from the same chair in front of my computer.

I'd recommend a 1 terabyte hard drive with expansion capabilities to another terabyte to anyone who wants to store their music collection entirely on their computer. It costs just a little bit more to upgrade a new computer from a standard 250 or 500 gig hardrive to a full terabyte of space. I spent years storing music on external drives and flash drives because I only had a 100 gig hard drive and it really sucked.

A 1 terabyte hard drive can be purchased for $125 uninstalled, but if you do a custom upgrade to a 1 terabyte hard drive when you buy a new computer, it usually costs less that $50. It's worth it because a 500 gigabyte external drive ( which has half the storage space of a 1 terabyte drive) costs around $90.

I put my entire vinyl and compact disc collection into storage, mostly because all the shelves I used to store my tangible music collection on occupied a lot of dead space in my office and I wanted to use that space for both video and digital music production gear.

All of my cds and vinyl abums are archived in waterproof, airtight crates in my basement. The crates are well organized and I usually can find what I'm looking for in under a minute. And I frequently need to find stuff fast for my radio broadcast or a sound system gig. I've never bothered to count or inventory my physical collection because time involved in doing so.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote