Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #48 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

i've only read the first post in this thread, but i would like to reply to it my simply reminding everyone that education has value in and of itself. it's not just an obstacle you have to overcome on the way towards something bigger and better. there are far more important things in life than economic concerns.

i spent 8 years in uni, and i came out of it with three degrees (by all rights, i'm dr. noise). i'm not using my skills at the moment. i'm working a menial job for mediocre pay. and still i owe $45,000 in student loans. but i'm very glad i went through with my plans to get a PhD.

even just the exercise of researching and writing a 400-page document was immensely educational. and i'm now one of the leading experts in my (admittedly narrow) field of study. hell, last fall i was dragged half-way around the world to be the featured speaker at a study conference on the subject. that's money well spent of you ask me

i have no regrets, and would never discourage someone from attending university.