Music Banter - View Single Post - Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

I don't think you can fairly call illegal immigrants "criminals". Sure they are in this country illegally, but perhaps this goes beyond the technicalities of the law. When viewed from a moral perspective, at least in my opinion, you can't blame them for wanting to live here. And we've made it very difficult for people to immigrate here legally. You need money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Jane Devo View Post
I probably don't support the Arizona law as is, since I would prefer that it prohibit racial profiling and give suspects sufficient time to produce papers.

Let's assume for a minute that the law actually included those provisions. Would you still oppose it on the grounds that it would undermine trust between police and hispanic communities? Honestly I could not care less how much of said trust there is, because a police officer pretty clearly does not need anyone's trust to walk up to someone's house and demand identifying papers from them, or to later return with an arrest warrant if they have not complied with the demand. If illegal immigrants decide to respond violently, well hey, they're committing an even more serious crime.

Again, you seem to be suggesting that if it's sufficiently 'difficult' to enforce a law, the police simply shouldn't bother trying, and instead hope that the community will voluntary assist the police in enforcing the law -- which is absurd. People in a community with illegal immigrants are not going to be helping to turn in their friends/family/neighbors to the police.
Bolded is the reasons I disagree with this law. As I think it was bungalow who brought out, the terms of this law are somewhat ambiguous... but that also opens it to interpretation which can very easily lead to the profiling and racism people have been protesting. It's not just my opinion. You agree too that the law should be changed. I think most reasonable people will agree that, no matter what your view on illegal immigrants and how they should be treated is, policing based on what is essentially somebody's name or looks is wrong - and that's what this law might end up initiating. There are a lot of civil rights activists who oppose the law, and even President Obama is very upset about it being signed.

But about your other point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Jane Devo View Post
Honestly I could not care less how much of said trust there is, because a police officer pretty clearly does not need anyone's trust to walk up to someone's house and demand identifying papers from them, or to later return with an arrest warrant if they have not complied with the demand. If illegal immigrants decide to respond violently, well hey, they're committing an even more serious crime.

Again, you seem to be suggesting that if it's sufficiently 'difficult' to enforce a law, the police simply shouldn't bother trying, and instead hope that the community will voluntary assist the police in enforcing the law -- which is absurd. People in a community with illegal immigrants are not going to be helping to turn in their friends/family/neighbors to the police.
The first bolded point: I'm not saying the police need the cooperation and respect of the community they protect. I'm saying it makes things far easier on them and they'll have a greater rate of success. This means less violence, less people having to die or be injured for no reason. Any police officer will tell you this. Police chiefs across the country are upset about this bill. Not to mention it'll be a drain on police resources to turn them all into immigration officers.

The second bolded point: Well of course they wont! But police officers traditionally aren't supposed to deport people. That's the whole point of contention.

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 04-25-2010 at 06:48 PM.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote