Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Essential Indie albums
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Alright, can someone explain NMH to me? A while ago, I read an interview with Jesse Lacey (singer/songwriter of Brand New) who cited that In the Aeroplane was one of his central influences in making music. So I acquired the album and gave it a listen, and wrote it off as simply not that good.

Recently, I've start browsing these forums on a daily basis and I see this specific album being mentioned quite frequently. Apparently, it's one of the best indie albums ever. I couldn't believe it, so I gave it another listen.

Still not good.

Another listen.

Still not good. Do I just lack the proper appreciation for music? Is something wrong with me? I find NMH to be poorly composed and produced, boring, and worst of all, the singer is quite terrible. Some lyrics are profound and interesting, but then I hear "Semen stains the mountaintops" repeated over and over...

bleh
http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...nd-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
les savy fav - let's stay friends (this one is probably going to cause some debate as to whether they're indie or not, i guess they're not predominantly indie and they have some math rock influence but let me have it anyway! it's a flucking good album)
Math Rock falls under the indie rock umbrella, as does a lot of post hardcore which is part of LSV's sound and influence too.

That's the problem with indie as a genre is that everyone thinks it only includes bands with a specific sound now. Bands that were originally indie before it became a sound (including LSV) are now being questioned.