Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

4AD was about the indiest of indie labels there was.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Didn't know The Pixies were on 4AD, I might have to revisit my list and get Doolittle on there.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
It's gonna be America-heavy because I prefer their brand of indie rock:

Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
Surfer Rosa - Pixies
Slanted & Enchanted - Pavement
You're Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr.
13 Songs - Fugazi

I want this poor noob to get a solid base and hear the influences before they move on to modern indie...
It's funny, if I had to think of the 5 albums that first turned me on to music beyond the realm hardcore punk, it would probably be these 5. Excellent list!

Here's 5 of my favourite albums that I could call 'indie':

beat happening you turn me on
the clean anthology
guided by voices bee thousand
yo la tengo painful
ride nowhere

Last edited by GravitySlips; 04-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
It's funny, if I had to think of the 5 albums that first turned me on to music beyond the realm hardcore punk, it would probably be these 5. Excellent list!

Here's 5 of my favourite albums that I could call 'indie':

beat happening you turn me on
the clean anthology
guided by voices bee thousand
yo la tengo painful
ride nowhere
Thanks, fella. I've downloaded Bee Thousand but haven't given it a thorough listen yet. Plus, I will prolly get myself a Beat Happening album once I get to that chapter in Our Band Could Be Your Life...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHipHop View Post
I have only one in mind

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
I know you're Mr Hip Hop but surely you can think of 4 more?!
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Alright, can someone explain NMH to me? A while ago, I read an interview with Jesse Lacey (singer/songwriter of Brand New) who cited that In the Aeroplane was one of his central influences in making music. So I acquired the album and gave it a listen, and wrote it off as simply not that good.

Recently, I've start browsing these forums on a daily basis and I see this specific album being mentioned quite frequently. Apparently, it's one of the best indie albums ever. I couldn't believe it, so I gave it another listen.

Still not good.

Another listen.

Still not good. Do I just lack the proper appreciation for music? Is something wrong with me? I find NMH to be poorly composed and produced, boring, and worst of all, the singer is quite terrible. Some lyrics are profound and interesting, but then I hear "Semen stains the mountaintops" repeated over and over...

bleh
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Alright, can someone explain NMH to me? A while ago, I read an interview with Jesse Lacey (singer/songwriter of Brand New) who cited that In the Aeroplane was one of his central influences in making music. So I acquired the album and gave it a listen, and wrote it off as simply not that good.

Recently, I've start browsing these forums on a daily basis and I see this specific album being mentioned quite frequently. Apparently, it's one of the best indie albums ever. I couldn't believe it, so I gave it another listen.

Still not good.

Another listen.

Still not good. Do I just lack the proper appreciation for music? Is something wrong with me? I find NMH to be poorly composed and produced, boring, and worst of all, the singer is quite terrible. Some lyrics are profound and interesting, but then I hear "Semen stains the mountaintops" repeated over and over...

bleh
There's something wrong with you.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Well, I suppose that's the easiest explanation.

Maybe I'm just destined to be one of those people who only enjoys the popular stuff and who has no true appreciation for the more influential and important artists/albums in music.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
downwardspiral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
^ Very solid. I left out Doolittle because I felt it was more Alternative than Indie.. but meh, I should've really put it in. It's an essential.
yeah. pretty much this. it is one of my all time favourite albums though.

so many good shouts in this thread. here's my two cents, although it's probably just going to be a reiterated list:

elliott smith - either/or
arcade fire - funeral
les savy fav - let's stay friends (this one is probably going to cause some debate as to whether they're indie or not, i guess they're not predominantly indie and they have some math rock influence but let me have it anyway! it's a flucking good album)
interpol - turn on the bright lights
yeah yeah yeahs - show your bones

Last edited by downwardspiral; 04-29-2010 at 06:50 AM.
downwardspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Alright, can someone explain NMH to me? A while ago, I read an interview with Jesse Lacey (singer/songwriter of Brand New) who cited that In the Aeroplane was one of his central influences in making music. So I acquired the album and gave it a listen, and wrote it off as simply not that good.

Recently, I've start browsing these forums on a daily basis and I see this specific album being mentioned quite frequently. Apparently, it's one of the best indie albums ever. I couldn't believe it, so I gave it another listen.

Still not good.

Another listen.

Still not good. Do I just lack the proper appreciation for music? Is something wrong with me? I find NMH to be poorly composed and produced, boring, and worst of all, the singer is quite terrible. Some lyrics are profound and interesting, but then I hear "Semen stains the mountaintops" repeated over and over...

bleh
http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...nd-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
les savy fav - let's stay friends (this one is probably going to cause some debate as to whether they're indie or not, i guess they're not predominantly indie and they have some math rock influence but let me have it anyway! it's a flucking good album)
Math Rock falls under the indie rock umbrella, as does a lot of post hardcore which is part of LSV's sound and influence too.

That's the problem with indie as a genre is that everyone thinks it only includes bands with a specific sound now. Bands that were originally indie before it became a sound (including LSV) are now being questioned.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.