Music Banter - View Single Post - Trash!!!!!
Thread: Trash!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

This one of Babyshambles' Down In Albion's an old fav...

Quote:
Both the playing and the singing on this much-debated CD are absolutely pitiful, at best. It is possible to see a tiny germ of talent in Mr Doherty's words, in a sort-of E J Thribb pretentiousness, and he is supposed to be a very nice guy away from the lights. The live performances on the TV, unredeemably lamentable, tend to reinforce some people's view that this emperor is very definitely without clothes.

There is so much good music, new and old, that I cannot see why anybody should seek out this second-rate stuff. Even in these days of British New Labour mediocrity, wherein nobody can be "bad" at anything or "fail" at anything, by law, it is unacceptable. This band would have been booed off stage in any rural village hall in England in the sixties as insulting their audience. On the other hand, perhaps that is what Doherty is trying to get at in the title song ? If so, I duly remove my hat to him, but I doubt it somehow.

I bought this album in the belief from the publicity that there was flawed genius at work. There isn't. It's dreadful. I was not allowed to give it no stars. There is absolutely no excuse for rubbish like this to see the light of day - it makes Fall Out Boy (see my review of Cork Tree on Amazon.com) seem like Cream. Actually, on second thoughts, it makes Fall Out Boy sound at least one-tenth competent.

Spend your hard-earned on a road map of Eilat. It will be more interesting
than the meanderings of these awful people.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote