Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #1082 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

I don't think it's anything to do with "Oh look at me, I'm weird and freaky and wear very little clothes, so you should listen to my music!" Sexuality and sexiness are a huge part of Gaga's music and performances, so what she wears and how she portrays herself reflect this. She obviously draws influence from the burlesque genre, as well as glam rock figures such as Freddie Mercury, even David Bowie, as well as pop music artists like as Madonna and Michael Jackson. Yes, a lot of pop artists show a lot of skin but if we criticise them for wearing whatever they like, isn't that a step backwards in equal rights? Like when women were criticised for wearing skirts above the knee? Plus, at least Lady Gaga does it in a creative way and does not outwardly try to be attractive, but weird and controversial and freaky instead. Music is only one part of her performances which really include art, fashion, technology and controversy as well. Yes her music is, as Big3 described it, unabashed materialistic pop - but isn't all art real art, or is pop art not? And if someone talented wants to make pop music, what's the problem?