Music Banter - View Single Post - Miracles!!
Thread: Miracles!!
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
bungalow
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I'll keep my eyes on this "starving yogi" story to learn if/when his claims are debunked. Or proven! Perhaps there are "breatherators" who gain sustenance from the very air!

I can think of only one orifice big enough, and carrying a water bottle there wouldn't be too comfortable...but better than drinking your own urine!

You were singing that song to Freebase, weren't you, Janszoon! I couldn't help but notice that his post came right before your post!

So, bungalow, to make sure I understand, you define a "miracle" as some event that follows natural law but has a very low probability of occurring. Meanwhile, it sounds like what you think of as supernatural would be what I define as a "miracle."

How unlikely would you feel some natural occurrence has to be for it to be a miracle? Wouldn't such a probability cutoff be very arbitrary? If I flip a coin a trillion times and get only 1 head, would that be a miracle? And if it *were* a miracle, what about if I did it again and get 2 heads? Or 10? How would you decide when some event is no longer considered "miraculous?"
i wouldn't seriously ascribe the word "miracle" to anything concerning coin flipping. so i assume i am free to ignore your what-if scenario. i am not out to quantitatively define "miracles"--my point is simply that things occur which could be considered miraculous (mr. dave gave a fantastic example--people surviving 13 days beneath earthquake rubble, as recently observed in haiti), and because i do not believe in a benevolent intelligence that actively interferes with human affairs these occurrences must have natural explanations...but that does not make them any less miraculous. you can explain how these events happened scientifically, but that they happened is miraculous.
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote