Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #468 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Except whether people kill animals purely for fun (the challenge of the "kill," and the adrenalin rush of hunting) or for fun but unnecessary food, the basic goal is the same: to increase human pleasure.

I feel that with meat-eating, the main reason people do it is emotional pleasure, since there are non-meat alternatives that satisfy nutritional needs just as well. This is one reason I see very little difference between killing an animal to have fun, and killing an animal to have fun food.
I think killing for fun or food as both being simply to "increase human pleasure" is a generalization which simplifies too much and hides what I think are important moral considerations. To me, if someone does it for a reason like the thrill of the hunt or the satisfaction of being able to provide for oneself, I can't morally consider those the same as doing it out of a sadistic pleasure for pain and suffering. What people think and the motives behind their actions is important to me and also something I think you too readily ignore.

I think the average member of a jury would agree!