Music Banter - View Single Post - Current Bands we will be talking about in 25yrs
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #242 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
I havent heard any rumors about Nickelback breaking up any time soon, so that tells me that they may stay around for a long period of time producing even more albums to come, but who knows? Are you sure for a fact that Nickelback doesnt have any fans with our youth of the nations? (only old people like them?)

(Statement) "and all the old people who are going to buy their garbage already do". I dont mean to insult you sir, but I dont where you are going with this statement. As for 3 doors down, I get the feeling that you have never really listened to them very much. Let me try to make a little better point, for what it is worth, (I mean who am I to say). 3 doors down has written alot of ballads/easy listening singles that are very well done in my opinion. And Nickelback has done the exact same thing with they're songwriting, I would think that songs such as ballads that touch the heart by saying more about Love & emotions will survive easy. so in my opinion these type of songs are better remembered than alot of the heavy stuff, Who knows! these bands could stay together & make albums toghether for the next 25 years or more, or they may splinter off to other bands, We can debate more further on this subject if you wish my Brother, Rock On!

Read more: http://www.musicbanter.com/newreply....#ixzz0oKizyCJ4
that link only quotes my initial reply.

as for Nickelback, sure there are some young people who still get into them, same as there are still some young people who get into AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. generally speaking it's a phase, it's not that you stop listening to it completely but most people move past it unless they're the types who refuse to own up to being over 29 until they're closing in on 40.

then there's also the rebellion of generations. not unlike the way hair metal pretty much died overnight (at least from the mainstream) when Nirvana showed up. yes there are still young people who get into crap like Poison and Warrant... they do so for the same reason my generation moved away from those bands and onto Pearl Jam and Soundgarden - they wanted something different than what their older siblings grew up with. they wanted their own voice.

Nickelback is no one's voice. their music lacks depth. it's like comparing a very well done paint by numbers canvas and something actually painted with a legitimate passion.

3 Doors Down, you're right I haven't heard anything about them since their heyday. from the sounds of things they've gone the Collective Soul route, probably still packing venues but making no significant impact on the mainstream (and therefore little impact on the collective taste of society).

consider the effect the internet has had on music. how many baby boomer artists are complaining about the decline in 'good' music because the internet can cater to ANY person's tastes at the drop of a hat. file trading on P2P networks is already antiquated. i don't see how maintaining the 'integrity' of 70s style arena rock does anything besides placate the ego of those who deny the passage of time. if that's really what will be being talked about in 25 years i honestly hope i wake up deaf in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote