Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #836 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Reading through this thread, I can see the Brits are extremely defensive about their music scene so I'll try to avoid offending!

I do have to say I prefer American music slightly, especially current music and musice of the last two decades or so. With alternative rock and the emergence of rap then some top quality indie artists, I just think the American music has been a lot more interesting then IMO stale bands like The Libertines which the British seem to focus on a lot. Not to mention I think America is notable for inventing many of the different genres of music (rock, jazz, r&b, rap, country, blues, electronic, etc.) and while genres like rock, r&b, and electronica could be a toss up as to which country does them better, other genres like jazz, rap, country, and blues America seems to have a strong advantage on.

I won't argue that the American music charts has, for the most part, uninspired and unexperimental music. I'm not familiar with British charts but if magazines like the NME are any indication, I would say their popular music is just as unexperimental. My two cents. It is, after all, my opinion.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote