Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #94 (permalink)
TheCunningStunt
love will tear you apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
Maybe I'm biased as a U.K. Rock fan but I think Britpop as a movement and the general emphasis on British rock towards melody and even tempo/rhythm just owns the U.S. and their moaning "ohhhh my life is so hard, mommy and daddy's credit card has just run out" crap that epitomizes much of grunge and punk for me, at least at face value.

England, especially Northern England is twice the ****hole that most of the U.S. is (no offense but be honest) and yet their music is much more melodic, positive, rousing, and rhythmic. Whining sissies from Seattle don't do it for me.

Then again this has nothing to do with the quality of the music. I just prefer a good melodic pop tune to an earthy distorted dark tune.

Hence the preference for an Oasis or a Vampire Weekend as opposed to a Nirvana or a Pink Floyd.
Britpop was shit, Suede, Pulp, Elastica, Supergrass didn't do it for me. Oasis weren't even Britpop as such, they were just plain rock but meh. I like them and Blur from that movement. Grunge has Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. They're probably a little better but I can't choose between them. Blur and Oasis vs Nirvana and Alice in Chains. Either way, I'm glad to see the back of Britpop.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote