Music Banter - View Single Post - I need some guitar suggestions.
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mikael
Groupie

Default I need some guitar suggestions.

I've been playing a cheap acoustic guitar with nylon strings for about 6 months now. A friend and I are going to start a shamelessly nostalgic band so now I'm gonna need an electric guitar. The problem: I'm not sure which one will suit the sound we're going for best. I'd like to have something that can find or make common ground between my favorite guitarists: Daniel Ash, Bubba Dupree, Kevin Shields, Johnny Marr, Brian McMahan, and John Reis. A hard-hitting, sonic, ethereal, metallic jangle but a bit deeper and that can fit well in basic rock structures is what I'm looking for.

I also need it to compliment his Fender Bass VI, which he likes to play "with a lot of treble"; he's got it sounding like the bass in the oldschool Jame's Bond movie themesong.

Can anyone help me out with some advice on what kind of setup I should be looking at?

The guy at guitarcenter gave me a raised eyebrow and suggested a Fender Baritone Telecaster through a Vox AC30, also with a lot of treble. If that wasn't enough, he recommended I build up an arsenal of effects pedals or get a gt10 if I didn't want to deal with a bunch of pedals at my feet (which I don't, seeing as I don't know much about them as is and the gt10 is always lauded for its versatility). Just thought I'd ask here first before I decide to inadvertently declare bankruptcy.

Last edited by Mikael; 06-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Mikael is offline   Reply With Quote