Music Banter - View Single Post - I need some guitar suggestions.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
A hard-hitting, sonic, ethereal, metallic jangle but a bit deeper and that can fit well in basic rock structures is what I'm looking for.
Personally like MR Dave said a telecaster is your best bet. There neck lipstick pickup can cover all you listed and the ashtray style bridge will give you the most jangly sound sonically possible. Dont get me wrong though pretty much any sound is possible from any guitar with enough tweaking. A Made In Mexico tele can be bought used for around 300 or new 4-500. They are amazing guitars for the prices and easily upgraded/modded. I would check out craigslist and guitar centers used section. Just realize you will have to get it professionally set up NOT BY THEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
The guy at guitarcenter gave me a raised eyebrow and suggested a Fender Baritone Telecaster through a Vox AC30, also with a lot of treble. If that wasn't enough, he recommended I build up an arsenal of effects pedals or get a gt10 if I didn't want to deal with a bunch of pedals at my feet (which I don't, seeing as I don't know much about them as is and the gt10 is always lauded for its versatility). Just thought I'd ask here first before I decide to inadvertently declare bankruptcy.
DO NOT listen to those ****ers. They work off commission and try to sell you **** they know nothing about and you don't need. No one looking for a first guitar should ever buy a baritone guitar, unless that's what they know they want. First off you should not buy a single effect without testing out an amp you want. Theres 2 ways to go: (well more but these are the main ones)

1: Modeling Amps have a ton of effects and are pretty easy to manage without having to spend money on unit or pedals. They can sound pretty good from what I have heard. Personally I would try the Roland Cube.

2: Solid State/Tube amps are more straight forward 1-3 channels with much less effects built in. They are great if you plan to run effects through in a loop fashion. Personally I use a solid state Fender 2x12 and always run through its clean channel. I get all effects from individual pedals and only reverb from the spring box built in. (I recommend solid state cus its cheaper lighter and simpler to maintain. Otherwise go tube, I know I will once the money comes my way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
IM SO MODEST
I spend a ton of time watching covers and lessons on youtube and came across your channel. You rule, I wish you would post them here instead! Nice S series as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
not sure what that clerk was smoking but i'm not finding any mass produced Fender Baritone Telecasters, aside from the Bajo Sexto from the Custom Shop. besides, your 'bass' player is actually already playing a baritone guitar as opposed to an actual bass guitar.
He was smoking commission

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
as for the effects necessary for the jangly wall of sound, personally i prefer multiple single units over a multi-effect box. there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods and it's really up to you to make the choice.
I completely agree. You seem to mention most pro's and cons but to me the biggest con is the tipping point. Single effects seem to have better overall tone and a further customizable sound.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote