Music Banter - View Single Post - I need some guitar suggestions.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mikael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
you were recommended a baritone tele??? they make those?

*googling*

not sure what that clerk was smoking but i'm not finding any mass produced Fender Baritone Telecasters, aside from the Bajo Sexto from the Custom Shop.
Erg that was a mistake on my part. His reccomendation was the Fender VG Stratocaster played as a baritone via the tuning knob. Just looked that **** up, sounds neat but why the hell would he reccomend another baritone?

Quote:
for an army of pedals
the pros
- relatively cheap - single pedals normally run around the $100-150 price point, if you don't mind buying used you can get most basic types for around half price with luck and patience.
- can start small (1 fuzz + 1 reverb = excellent start toss in a delay/echo and you'll be laughing)
- simple to use (most pedals don't have more than 4 knobs and 2 functions)
- can mix and match (for example: putting the distortion before or after a wah will have a noticeable effect on its tone)
- you can be the cool guy that shares gear with his friends at the jams.

the cons
- power usage - rechargeable 9volts aren't the cheapest, they can be a hassle to change, some pedals need specific plugs for power adapters. if you're going to use adapters you'll want to invest in a couple of heavy duty power bars as well.
- transportation/setup - i have to use a freaking suitcase with wheels for mine, weighs a solid 50 pounds for about 20 pedals. plugging them all in and making sure everything has good juice takes another 10-15 minutes too.

for a multieffect unit like the gt-10
pros
compact - comparatively speaking, these things are puny.
power usage - 1 unit, 1 plug. no batteries.
versatile - they offer oodles of different tones but not sure about full pedal placement customization.
software updates - some companies offer online patches to improve tones and functionality to their devices.

cons
size - they tend to be a little bulky. it's less hassle than a dozen stompboxes and takes up less floor space but you generally can't stick them in your pockets in a pinch.
price - the initial cost for a multi-effect unit will be more than a couple of single pedals. though it is MUCH cheaper in the long run.
I'm a fan of 'cheaper in the long run', I think I'll just drop the dough and go for it. Gonna snoop around a bit first, though.

Quote:
DO NOT listen to those ****ers. They work off commission and try to sell you **** they know nothing about and you don't need.
I got that feeling as soon as I asked for help. It was scary. I felt like a little ignorant lamb in a cage with a starved lion.

Thx for the help, y'allz.

Last edited by Mikael; 06-06-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Mikael is offline   Reply With Quote