Music Banter - View Single Post - I need some guitar suggestions.
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrloser_IX View Post
Another thing to keep in mind when shopping for the guitar, is that all guitars (even those of the same model) are different. The first thing I would do is just find a place with a large amount of different guitars, then just strum a few chords, without even plugging them in.

this is VERY IMPORTANT advice as well.

especially about not plugging in. an amp can't make up for a bad instrument, it can accentuate or obscure elements of the instrument's tone but ultimately it's up to the quality of the instrument.

if it doesn't provide you with a full and satisfying tone when it's unplugged you WILL end up as one of those guys who's always looking for that last piece of magical gear that will cement his sound into place. aka the guy who ends up wasting all his money on accessories he doesn't need because he never got the right piece of gear in the first place.

as for the VG Strat - holy crap did the clerk start drooling when you asked him for advice? for real. you told him you were going from a cheap acoustic to your first electric and he recommended a $2000-ish instrument with built in synth/modeling pickups??? if you ever go back to that store do yourself a favour and don't EVER ask for an opinion / advice again. specify what you want and don't let them steer you from your decision. that clerk was playing you for a fool and trying to maximize HIS profits at your expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote