Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bald Chick Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #80 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy1138 View Post
I thought the media was mostly to blame for turning the most harmless thing Britney did into evidence of a nervous breakdown. There aren't a lot of pictures of it, but she was smiling as she did it. To me, it looked like a liberating experience for her. It might well have been symbolic of her desire for a fresh start. That is not unheard of.

But then we got a lot of tabloid articles full of hearsay and speculation from various "sources," not to mention random fans giving their two cents' worth about how bad she looked. Then we got pictures of crazy bald Britney freaking out in public, which then became the default image in any story about her. I don't know that we ever got a genuine explanation from her of just what the shaved head was about. There was just this immediate sh*t storm in the media, after which I think she was advised to make a half-assed apology and put the whole thing behind her.

I am by no means defending anything else Britney did that was genuinely stupid, nor am I in any way a fan of anything she's done, but I think I'm a fair person, and I thought she got pretty badly smeared on the head shaving thing.

I've said it before, if it was someone with a reputation as a spiritual person, or with some credibility as an artist, people would not have been branding her insane. To me, it was far more significant that someone so tied to the most superficial feminine ideals would shave her head than it would have been if she was an artsy type more prone to experimenting with her image.
True, people were a little weirded out when Sinead did it but they eventually accepted it and it became a trademark thing for her. And she was never a sex icon or anything.

Britney's selling point has never been her music or any kind of artistic statement, she was just a piece of meat, jailbait marketed towards horny teenage boys. I think she came to realise this soon enough and it's being caught on the media's web and not able to escape. When you're considered just a sex object the media feels it's acceptable to exagerate your flaws and tear them apart. She gains a little weight and she's morbidly obese.

I think she was making a simple statement, as in "FAP to this assh*les, you're not the boss of me" and the media took that as a personal insult. "Hey bitch we MADE you, you don't have the right to not be hot anymore."

She did look pretty bad when she shaved her head but not BECAUSE she shaved her head, she already looked bad being messed up on drugs. Her hair looked nasty and you know what? Shaving is a lot more healthy than the sh*t she's been doing to her head for years, bleaching, extensions, etc.

I'd imagine headshaving is healther than most of the things women (and men) do to their hair actually, as long as you know about the required skincare maintenance, moisterizer and sunscreen, wear hats when it's cold and don't mind an occasional nick or two.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote