Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bald Chick Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #88 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I get reactions now as a male having a shaved head so for a female to have a shaved head is even more 'odd' to look upon.

I'm not saying it's right at all. I have been called a fascist and a Nazi in my time just because I shave my head so for a woman to have a look that is so diametrically opposed to the classic 'female look' freaks people out.

I talked to a woman once at my place of work who wore a head scarf due to chemotherapy she was having (hence bald) and I managed to convince her that there is nothing wrong whatsoever in looking that way and a few days later she came back without the headscarf which made me so happy for her and she herself said that she felt liberated. Good for her.

It's easy to judge people on first impressions and we all do it but I have found that the people worth knowing are those who make a mockery of that inbuilt initial prejudice.
A good friend of mine shaved her head to raise money for cancer. Until her hair grew in long enough for a "pixie cut" type style, she got a LOT of strange looks. Some were pitying, as if assuming she had cancer or alopecia, other's just stared at her as if she were a zoo animal, it was pretty eye opening.

My older brother also shaved his head to raise money for cancer, but he did it with his entire high school football team. The group of them got a LOT of looks, but they were more apprehensive and nervous looks. They were all well over 6 feet tall, and most of them pretty bulked up despite only being in high school. My brother just thought it was funny.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote