Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #1525 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
King Crimson are probably the most inaccessible of all the big prog bands. I'd say start with stuff The Court or Red or Discipline. Larks and Starless are great but they are definitely not starter albums.
Inacessible to a degree.....but the Robert Fripp, John Wetton and Bill Bruford trio is probably THE KC LINE-UP of excellence and the suggested trio of albums were a big influence on non-prog bands, of which Nirvana strongly come to mind. I find these albums especially "Red" to have an atmosphere and tension almost unsurpassed, that anybody seriously into music in general could listen to and enjoy. I don`t find them inacessible to a receptive listener, as I would by stuff like Yes or ELP for example. Hell.......anybody that appreciates breathtaking guitar work cannot fail to be impressed by Fripp on these albums.

Saying all this, I wouldn`t hand somebody the complete KC discography as that would be inacessible and not a great starter group either. I`d hand them Pink Floyd instead, not that Pink Floyd are necessarily easy going either, but most people are familiar with a some of their work anyway.