Music Banter - View Single Post - Today's Rap, 90's, or 80's Rap
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #62 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Yeah I wasn't very old when it happened, but I didn't need to be either as the historical record of the time is captured in the music. 2Pac and Biggie's death lead to the end of the whole east coast-west coast battle that had spurred rap artists on to top each other. It also left west coast rap dormant for many years after 2Pac's death and the scene really hasn't been the same since. You also saw southern rap become more prominent and gangsta rap became more mainstream and popular.

Things didn't change overnight, but the deaths of two of the biggest forces in rap definitely had an impact on the scene. And yes, I agree that their was good rap both before and after 2Pac's death.
See, I think if you had been there and aware of music at the time you would have a pretty different take on it, as I do. You speak as if the scene 2Pac was a part of was the totality of hip-hop at the time but it wasn't, not even close. Things weren't as simple and linear as reading about them after the fact would have you believe. And frankly west coast rap continued to be huge throughout the late 90s so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it was somehow dormant.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote