Music Banter - View Single Post - Who Was The First Post-Punk Band?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
you really shouldn't call anything 'proto post punk', as mr dave said. it's absurd.
As absurd as it sounds, it is feasible. Think of it as a kind of before and after effect. A band that helped shape a new genre and then helped move it on in a different direction once it had been fully established!!! Avant-garde sounds better than proto-post whatever though.

I`m not sure I would apply post-punk to Television though, as they had different characteristics, such as two guitarists that were superior to your average punk band. The guitar work between Verlaine and Lloyd was pretty intricate and the use of keyboards in the group quite limited compared to what is known as post-punk. I see the first two albums as far more new-wave than punk anyway, and think of Televison far closer to new-wave bands like Talking Heads, Devo and Cars etc than to punk bands like the Sex Pistols, Clash (debatable) Dead Kennedys and Ramones etc.

I certainly think Television could be classed as proto punk for their influence on punk but if we`re talking about proto-punk I tend to think even earlier back to Iggy and the Stooges etc.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote