Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #1539 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post

This argument is illogical. You could make the same argument about any band that ever dabbled into different styles. You wouldn't dismiss a Primal Scream attempt on psychedelic rock as a lame imitation of Jefferson Aeroplane, would you?
If the songs are good enough and stand out on their own then it doesn't really matter about what's being ripped off.
I've often said that Primal Scream at their worst are nothing more than a Rolling Stones tribute act, and there a a couple of album when it's quite clear that's all they want to be sometimes. So I avoid those albums & listen to them at their best when they mix & match all sorts of influences while still having their own sound and writing good songs.
That's how you make it work. I didn't feel that song did.
Quote:
Obviously most of that Incubus album is funk metal and I posted that song because it is a very unique Incubus song. When you start listing some better funk metal bands who could dabble into "70s jazz rock" then your point will have some foundation...
I don't want to dabble with funk metal. Many people have tried but I'm just not interested. In fact I can't stand most funk rock to be honest.
Funk works fine for me in other genres, hip hop, punk, jazz & reggae to name 4, but mixed with stadium rock, metal or ''''alternative'''' rock it's has always bored me.

sorry

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.