Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #1531 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

I'd rather have a sulphuric acid enema than listen to either of these bands.

If any 2 bands sum up dull pedestrian middle of the road '''''''alternative''''''' rock it's these two.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #1532 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'd rather have a sulphuric acid enema than listen to either of these bands.

If any 2 bands sum up dull pedestrian middle of the road '''''''alternative''''''' rock it's these two.
This pretty much. I'm abstaining for this one.
James is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #1533 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'd rather have a sulphuric acid enema than listen to either of these bands.

If any 2 bands sum up dull pedestrian middle of the road '''''''alternative''''''' rock it's these two.
What's dull about this?



Or this?





If I had posted two of their later releases from the 2000s then I would agree with you. But each of these are their second albums really finding the bands hitting their stride creatively and sonically. To simply dismiss two of my favorites like that appears snobbish and elitist.

And remember, the whole point of this thread is to vote no matter what, not abstain because I didn't pick a couple of British post-punk bands. I always vote...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you

Last edited by Violent & Funky; 07-23-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Violent & Funky is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #1534 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Screw the hatahs, Incubus are awesome, or used to be anyway. Actually one of the first bands I got really into and while I'm not as into them as I used to be (and their last album was quite mediocre) I still like them a good deal and consider them underrated and definitely not worthy of being crammed into the nu metal category as they sometimes are, unfairly.

I don't care weither people think they're alternative rock or radio rock or whatever. It's stupid that every band has to be defined and disregarded because of some category they get shoehorned into. If they are radio rock I'd say they're leagues above every other band that falls into that definition.

311 are decent, not great but their early stuff is better than people give it credit for. Never been into them a lot but Grassroots is indeed pretty good.

Science wipes the floor with it though and it's still one of my favorite 90s albums, I say that with complete seriousness.

Science 4
Grassroots 0
boo boo is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #1535 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
What's dull about this?

Asian Dub Foundation lite
Without the Asian, dub , or foundation for that matter.

Quote:
Or this?

That just made me want to listen to something more anarchic... Like The Average White Band.

And i never thought any band on the planet would ever make me say 'You know what? I'd rather listen to the Average White Band.'
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #1536 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

I wish I could understand what you are trying to communicate, Urban, but I can't because I'm not your mother.

I just youtubed a couple Asian Dub Foundation songs and they aren't a hard rock band. When they pick up an electric guitar and bass let me know.

I have NO idea what about 'Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)' could be found boring. Same goes for Incubus being much heavier than the band you compared them to...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #1537 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I wish I could understand what you are trying to communicate, Urban, but I can't because I'm not your mother.

I just youtubed a couple Asian Dub Foundation songs and they aren't a hard rock band. When they pick up an electric guitar and bass let me know.
Never said they were a hard rock band.
I was referring to the beginning of the song which sounded like it could have been lifted off an Asian Dub Foundation album.
Actually when the main generic riff kicked in I thought that spoiled everything and that was around the time I felt the song got boring.
Quote:
I have NO idea what about 'Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)' could be found boring. Same goes for Incubus being much heavier than the band you compared them to...
I couldn't give a stuff about 'heaviness' I was just making the point that the song you requested I listen to sounded like some 70s jazz funk throwback and I was just suggesting that if I wanted to listen to 70s jazz rock I'd listen to 70s jazz rock and not some 90s ''''alternative'''' take on it.

Think of it as buying a Jamiroquai album instead of Inner Visions or Songs In The Key Of Life.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #1538 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Never said they were a hard rock band.
I was referring to the beginning of the song which sounded like it could have been lifted off an Asian Dub Foundation album.
Actually when the main generic riff kicked in I thought that spoiled everything and that was around the time I felt the song got boring.
Mmmmm I love generic riffs. Generic, generic, GENERIC!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I couldn't give a stuff about 'heaviness' I was just making the point that the song you requested I listen to sounded like some 70s jazz funk throwback and I was just suggesting that if I wanted to listen to 70s jazz rock I'd listen to 70s jazz rock and not some 90s ''''alternative'''' take on it.

Think of it as buying a Jamiroquai album instead of Inner Visions or Songs In The Key Of Life.
This argument is illogical. You could make the same argument about any band that ever dabbled into different styles. You wouldn't dismiss a Primal Scream attempt on psychedelic rock as a lame imitation of Jefferson Aeroplane, would you?

Obviously most of that Incubus album is funk metal and I posted that song because it is a very unique Incubus song. When you start listing some better funk metal bands who could dabble into "70s jazz rock" then your point will have some foundation...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #1539 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post

This argument is illogical. You could make the same argument about any band that ever dabbled into different styles. You wouldn't dismiss a Primal Scream attempt on psychedelic rock as a lame imitation of Jefferson Aeroplane, would you?
If the songs are good enough and stand out on their own then it doesn't really matter about what's being ripped off.
I've often said that Primal Scream at their worst are nothing more than a Rolling Stones tribute act, and there a a couple of album when it's quite clear that's all they want to be sometimes. So I avoid those albums & listen to them at their best when they mix & match all sorts of influences while still having their own sound and writing good songs.
That's how you make it work. I didn't feel that song did.
Quote:
Obviously most of that Incubus album is funk metal and I posted that song because it is a very unique Incubus song. When you start listing some better funk metal bands who could dabble into "70s jazz rock" then your point will have some foundation...
I don't want to dabble with funk metal. Many people have tried but I'm just not interested. In fact I can't stand most funk rock to be honest.
Funk works fine for me in other genres, hip hop, punk, jazz & reggae to name 4, but mixed with stadium rock, metal or ''''alternative'''' rock it's has always bored me.

sorry
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #1540 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

Fair enough, Urban. I enjoyed the discourse...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.