Music Banter - View Single Post - Activist Songs
Thread: Activist Songs
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I tend to not like it much when bands base their entire lyrical approach on political statements, though RATM, The Clash and Crass are some exceptions to that rule.
I'd never heard Yes' "Don't Kill the Whale," boo boo! Love the waves. SATCHMO, thanks for sharing Bob Marley's song, "War." A great activist classic I haven't heard in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
I don't understand, why would you like a band simply because they share a similar philosophy on life as you?
Oh, I didn't say I like a band simply because they share a similar life philosophy. However, if there were two bands who make music that I like, and one of the bands writes lyrics that I appreciate while the other has opinions that I despise, I'll like the former more.

For example, here is one of my favorite activist songs of all time, as well as one of my favorite songs in general: John Lennon's "Imagine." I like the music and I like the thoughts behind it, so they work synergistically to make the song one that I love.

Now if the "Imagine" lyrics were as shown below, I would still like the sound of the music...but I doubt I would care for the song as a whole:

Quote:
"Imagine" (slightly revised)

Imagine there's a heaven.
It's easy if you try.
A hell below us,
In which you're going to fry.

You may say I'm a dreamer
but He's the Chosen and The One.
I hope someday you'll join Him
Or else your life is done!
And now, the REAL "Imagine," which I feel is a beautiful and gentle activist song for peace...just in case a few people on MB have somehow managed to go through life without ever hearing it:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote