Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Thanks for your comments Vegangelica!

the song is meant as a satirical jab at corporate culture (and partially at my old boss, who the "king monkey" character is based on), as the lyrics describe utter chaos happening in the streets while up in a high rise office building a hum drum meeting continues on, oblivious. Here are the lyrics if you're interested:

The building stands hard and gray,
set back from the street.
A forty story New Brutalist nightmare
casts its shadow on the plaza below.
Elevators pump up and down
like slow moving pistons.

Rows of doors and cubicles
every level the same.

Chorus:
Riot!
Violence!
Outside
in the streets.
The tower
ticks along
above.
Above!

...The king monkey beats his chest,
comb-over like a glorious gray rainbow.
These layoffs will line his pockets
and buy a new home in Pensacola.
Beautiful lines in bold above, Janszoon. I like the poetic imigary. I also like the structure of your lyrics, in which the second half (underlined above) of the stanzas that alternate throughout the song describe what is happening inside the building, while the first half describes the street scene. The juxtoposition of the polite word "thank you" and the fact that it is screamed is still my favorite moment of all! Thanks for posting the lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
yeah Jef was a freak behind the kit. there are plenty of times where we saw him smoke, drink, sing, and play one handed beats with rolls all at the same time.

as for smokeables, you get the pasties/dry mouth before you get the munchies hahaha
It's too bad you don't have video of Jef (and he gave permission to post it)! He sounds like a sight to see and not just hear.

Ahh...pasties/dry mouth occur *before* the munchies. I did not know that! A significant other who had smoked a lot in his college years never mentioned the order in which physiological effects occurred, and I didn't know enough to ask. Good to know. Good to know.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote