Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #3700 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Bear in mind that IDM is a much more generalized classification of music than dubstep, and can loosely be referred to anything that doesn't use a prescribed cliche beat.

I personally hate a lot of the "synthy" bass lines in dubstep ,which is why I don't listen to a lot of it, but I definitely think that there's a lot of room for creativity within the genre that hasn't been explored yet.
hm, true. since dubstep is another relatively new genre in the infinite sea of electronic genres (WTF is up with casio-core, anyways?) maybe it really hasn't defined itself yet. i'll come back to dubstep in about a few years or so. it's like a genre under construction. rock from the fifties doesn't sound like rock today, because the genre built up over the years. maybe dubstep will be truly great when i come back.

and yes, now that I looked through my Amon Tobin CDs and compared it to "Music Has The Right To Children" and held them up into the light next to my copy of Drukqs, i'm starting to think of IDM as a dumping ground for bands that don't quite belong in techno, are too hard and abrasive to be ambient, and isn't hard enough to be any of those industrial styles. And is it just me or does "intelligent Dance" sound a little y'know, pretentious? But I must admit, IDM sure is fun to listen to.

TL;DR version:
Dubstep isn't quite developed yet, and IDM is way too broad of a genre.
oh, and Casio-Core makes no sense.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote