Music Banter - View Single Post - Today's Rap, 90's, or 80's Rap
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #114 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

If you were "never big on The Roots," don't make statements like, "oh yeah, The Roots have ALWAYS been great at sampling!"

And, uh, what the fuck? You're ignoring entire songs because you hear a little bit of slang? Christ, that's stupid. If you're going to tell me One Be Lo littered "Destiny" with overplayed lingo, (what did he say, anyway?) then there's no way you were listening. Like, you threw it on, listened to about 30 seconds with minimal attention applied and dismissed it because you want new rap to suck.

One Be Lo spits top notch lyricism; I mean, he held a three syllabic rhyme scheme through that whole song [which I doubt you noticed] with interjected alliteration and rhyming in between. His rhymes are creative, his wordplay is great.

"I'm not the hater, you're the player, I'm the referee
official, with the whistle, check out the melody
you could be the best emcee from west to east and never be celebrity
maybe when you rest in peace; let's agree,
you don't want war, you should go and be a refugee
whether comin' or goin', i'm runnin' where the rebels be"

And that's only part of it.

Black Milk... How does that beat NOT blow you away? That extraterrestrial scream and those heavy drums are beautiful. Oh, and he's a pretty fine rapper if you ask me.

"And we ain't friends, so weak nigga your show's over
eighty degrees and still give him the cold shoulder
tons of soldiers, guns and holsters
flowers and gunshowers,
guns and roses
heat feel like the sun was closer,
but the beat make you feel like the drums was boulders"

...AND you have a problem with Big Boi? WHAT? Are you not a fan of Outkast either? His new album is just so, so good; he finds the proper balance between club banger and lyrical hip hop, he's witty and his flow is unstoppable.

Finally: I'd like you to point out the overused lingo employed in the videos I posted, and I'd like you to post songs that sound like they used the same samples / sound the same. Good luck.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote