Music Banter - View Single Post - Today's Rap, 90's, or 80's Rap
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #116 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Uh, One Be Lo set the theme for his song, it wasn't an act of bull**** introspection. And what the hell? What kind of lingo did he use there? Because he said YO? Because he said "yo," no verse in that song counts?

You also complain that his voice isn't very gripping. I don't really see that, I like his voice. His voice has character; he comes off as someone you'd have a serious conversation with at a bus stop, he's very coolheaded but insightful. His delivery / lyricism more than makes up for that, especially considering his voice isn't bland or plain. He's very subtle, but very poignant. Honestly, you can't listen to One Be Lo and tell me he's not good at rapping.

No, no we have not heard Black Milk's sound a gazzillion times. His sound is rooted in the Detroit sonic [think J Dilla], as in thick drums and grit. If you're going to tell me Black Milk is biting, I want you to show me who he's biting. His rapping is fine; he's charismatic and authoritative, he's clever, and he's got a lot of energy.

I'm not going to defend Wiz extensively. You don't like him, fine. But he's got a great ear for beats [bullshit @ you've heard that sample a million times], and he's incredibly stylish. He's got a good way of saying things that are memorable.

Yes, I've heard all of those songs before. I love Gravediggaz and De La Soul; I don't listen to the Geto Boys as much as I should, but Scarface is awesome. [Ever heard Mr. Scarface is Back?] I don't like Spice 1 or Paris, they just seem like stripped down, less interesting versions of other gangsta rappers.

And look, you're dismissing too much over too little. You're dismissing albums and artists and styles as a whole because you're hearing A LITTLE BIT of slang that's classic to the culture. Deal with it. It's not hurting anything in the song, and I haven't seen it bother ANYONE but you.

Like I said, if anyone I posted is biting, I want to hear who they're biting.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote