Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #2246 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Since you like Battles, I think you will definitely like Trans Am. They have influences from post-rock, math rock, electronic, kraut rock and the music is usually instrumental. They have lots of albums, but I'd recommend Red Line (2000) for the start. It's probably their best.

Labradford is very ambient, cosmic and drone. Pan American is a solo project of Labradford's guitarist and can be described like ambient dub, maybe. Windy & Carl are also post-rock/space rock/drone.

Bardo Pond are a kind of neo-psychedelia with influences from post-rock, shoegaze, cosmic rock, drone, kraut rock etc. They have a big discography and I'm not quite sure what to recommend for the start, maybe Lapsed (1997)

Gastr del Sol was for me a classic post-rock in the 90s, before the copyists of Godspeed You...made a generic genre out of it. Very quiet, slow music, somewhat jazzy and avant-garde. The Serpentine Similar (1993) and Crookt, Crackt, or Fly (1994) are both great albums.

And if you like math rock with a post-rock touch I'd recommend June of 44. I'll take it you already heard Slint.
thanks, sir! will download/buy!
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote