Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #2241 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsofcanada View Post
I really need more avant-garde-ish experimental rock.
you know, bands like battles?
It doesn't sound so much like battles, but you could do worse than get hold of Soundtracks For the Blind by Swans if you're up for something epic and very experimental.

Which reminds me, I should really explore the rest of their discography sometime soon...
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #2242 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
It doesn't sound so much like battles, but you could do worse than get hold of Soundtracks For the Blind by Swans if you're up for something epic and very experimental.

Which reminds me, I should really explore the rest of their discography sometime soon...
will do. I think I've encountered a song of theirs before and liked it. it might be somebody else, though.

thanks!
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #2243 (permalink)
...
 
dankrsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Serbia
Posts: 1,774
Default

^ Have you listened to Gastr del Sol, Tortoise and The For Carnation. Also Trans Am, Bardo Pond, Windy & Carl, Labradford, Pan American, Ui. These are all from the 90s or 90s/00s, post-rock or influenced more or less by post-rock, experimental, drone, cosmic, psychedelic etc.
__________________
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #2244 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
^ Have you listened to Gastr del Sol, Tortoise and The For Carnation. Also Trans Am, Bardo Pond, Windy & Carl, Labradford, Pan American, Ui. These are all from the 90s or 90s/00s, post-rock or influenced more or less by post-rock, experimental, drone, cosmic, psychedelic etc.
of course I know tortoise but not the others. and usually anything influenced by drone is usually good so i'll take your word for it.

and i'm a huge post rock fan so this is appreciated.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #2245 (permalink)
...
 
dankrsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Serbia
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsofcanada View Post
of course I know tortoise but not the others. and usually anything influenced by drone is usually good so i'll take your word for it.

and i'm a huge post rock fan so this is appreciated.
Since you like Battles, I think you will definitely like Trans Am. They have influences from post-rock, math rock, electronic, kraut rock and the music is usually instrumental. They have lots of albums, but I'd recommend Red Line (2000) for the start. It's probably their best.

Labradford is very ambient, cosmic and drone. Pan American is a solo project of Labradford's guitarist and can be described like ambient dub, maybe. Windy & Carl are also post-rock/space rock/drone.

Bardo Pond are a kind of neo-psychedelia with influences from post-rock, shoegaze, cosmic rock, drone, kraut rock etc. They have a big discography and I'm not quite sure what to recommend for the start, maybe Lapsed (1997)

Gastr del Sol was for me a classic post-rock in the 90s, before the copyists of Godspeed You...made a generic genre out of it. Very quiet, slow music, somewhat jazzy and avant-garde. The Serpentine Similar (1993) and Crookt, Crackt, or Fly (1994) are both great albums.

And if you like math rock with a post-rock touch I'd recommend June of 44. I'll take it you already heard Slint.
__________________
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #2246 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Since you like Battles, I think you will definitely like Trans Am. They have influences from post-rock, math rock, electronic, kraut rock and the music is usually instrumental. They have lots of albums, but I'd recommend Red Line (2000) for the start. It's probably their best.

Labradford is very ambient, cosmic and drone. Pan American is a solo project of Labradford's guitarist and can be described like ambient dub, maybe. Windy & Carl are also post-rock/space rock/drone.

Bardo Pond are a kind of neo-psychedelia with influences from post-rock, shoegaze, cosmic rock, drone, kraut rock etc. They have a big discography and I'm not quite sure what to recommend for the start, maybe Lapsed (1997)

Gastr del Sol was for me a classic post-rock in the 90s, before the copyists of Godspeed You...made a generic genre out of it. Very quiet, slow music, somewhat jazzy and avant-garde. The Serpentine Similar (1993) and Crookt, Crackt, or Fly (1994) are both great albums.

And if you like math rock with a post-rock touch I'd recommend June of 44. I'll take it you already heard Slint.
thanks, sir! will download/buy!
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #2247 (permalink)
...
 
dankrsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Serbia
Posts: 1,774
Default

^Actually, I'm not a sir
__________________
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #2248 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
^Actually, I'm not a sir
whoops!

EDIT: trans am is certainly reminding me of kraftwerk, especially on the fourth song, and that's a good thing.
EDIT 2: what? this is awesome! at first it reminded me of kraftwerk and 65daysofstatic's We Were Exploding Anyway. I might post a review. keep your eyes peeled for it.

Last edited by Dayvan Cowboy; 08-02-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #2249 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
You definitely have to try Skinny Puppy, one of the weirdest and best industrial bands ever and a huge influence on the bands you've mentioned.

Excellent. DISTANToblivion, try this one too...one of their more rock-oriented tracks (Al Jourgansen from Ministry was involved in this album).



This stuff gives me the chills...there's still acid in my spine.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #2250 (permalink)
Lost In A Purple Haze
 
jtwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Middle Of No Where
Posts: 433
Default

Anyone know any newer bands (say last decade or so) that are good with their instruments, maybe some bluesy vocals (preferably no screaming)? Or anything close?
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.