Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #187 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Child View Post

Oh Yann....
I was first introduced to Yann by Gavin B's journal and was hooked from that point on. And I completely agree with you on that great Paris sound he has going on. I think its all about the instruments he uses. And how he uses them of course. I'm pretty sure if I ever walked into a haunted circus in the middle of Paris I would hear his music playing. I mean, with a name like Yann Tiersen, he better be composing some brilliant masterpieces by god!

And thanks for the suggestions. Eivind Aarset sounds very interesting, consider him on my list.
Yann Tiersen is god and my own personal savior. I've been following his career since a stumbled across his brilliant performance of his one man show at Gallic music festival in his native Brittany France in 1997. Yann had a spiky punk hairdo and was dressed in a Ramones t-shirt and black Converse high tops. He played his strange otherworldly interpretations of French folk music on a succession of odd musical instruments like toy piano, carillon, banjo, mandolins, violin, electric guitar, harpsichord, vibraphone, xylophone, squeeze box, typewriter, ondes martenot and melodica. Most of his battered musical instruments looked like objects he purchased at second hand shops and flea markets.

Yann was bounced in and out of a number of prestigious French musical in the early 90s before he developed his own unique signature style. Yann is the musical equivalent of a dumpster diver because he can transform an old milk container or discarded hubcap into a musical instrument.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote