Music Banter - View Single Post - Oasis - Be Here Now
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I agree with a lot of things said in this thread whereas others I could not disagree with more.

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants was a bit of a risk. It was as close as Oasis ever came to doing something different rather than recycle heavily. It marks a maturity, at least in Noel Gallagher and for me definitely shows a man learning from the mistakes that came before it. That mistake was of course Be Here Now as he says himself it was a bit of a swindle, given that it was the follow up to one of the most successful British albums of all time and was obviously going to be a make or break album and yet their attitude to writing and recording it was shocking. He says himself he can't remember a single thing about it at any stage of its conception or production. I think that helps to explain the lack of direction the album has and i agree it is a little self indulgent as well as completely cocaine and alcohol fuelled.

However Standing on the Shoulder of Giants was the result of Noel Gallagher being hospitalised, sobering up as a result and determined to take the process of writing and recording a new album seriously. He forced the rest of the band to remain sober throughout this process too and i completely agree that it is only Little James and Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is that stops me from loving that album.

However I completely disagree with your opinion of Fade In Out and the title track. It's so clear to see the attempt to mix things up a little in tracks like Magic Pie but ultimately it was a failed attempt in my opinion. However those two tracks we're done well i feel and those two alongwith Don't Go Away, Stand By Me and The Girl in the Dirty Shirt are the highlights of this record in my opinion.

Be Here Now wasn't a bad album I dont think but it was bloated, it lacked direction and it was just unprofessional and even a little irresponsible for a band of their size in 1997 to follow up their first two records with a record like this. But it had certain tracks and certain moments that helped to somewhat redeem it. At least enough for me to still give it a whirl every now and then.

Also i personally really like Dig Out Your Soul. Yes, it had a couple of stinkers on it but it felt it was their first album in a number of years that had any real energy and any real balls to it.

Definitely Maybe > Whats the Story > Dig Out Your Soul > Be Here Now > Standing on the Shoulder of Giants > Don't Believe The Truth > Heathen Chemistry.

Although Be Here Now and SOTSOG are interchangeable, those two could change places depending on what side of bed i woke up on that day.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote