Music Banter - View Single Post - Today's Rap, 90's, or 80's Rap
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #133 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Choosing 80's hip hop on a best of list is equivelent to putting skiffle on a Rock List. Its like saying the Sexiest Man Alive this year was a fetus.

Its evident when you pick 80's rap and say its above all else, (on a list, not your preference) that you're a cred-hungry dip**** with your lips planted firmly on your own colon.

Theres a reason KC & The Sunshine band never make lists, and neither should much of raps embriotic phase. It is always going to be wildly apparent you're going for the "how do you not know this ****" vote, as if 16 year olds readily listen to Kool Herc.

This, of course, is the issue with musical critique globally. For some reason we've put a false value behind the currency of "first;" I heard it first, I was the first one who mentioned..., and they were the first ones to use that sound. But for the sames reasons we don't drive model T's or use Apple II's, so should we not use early Rap as some form 2001-Monolith that delivered us from the assumed cave-dwelling that we were relegated to pre-rap.

Anyone who uses anything as a barometer above quality has an agenda. They are carving out their own niche by creating their own economy. I should hope, especially here at musicbanter, we're trading on a stronger unit than the bull**** that is "first."