Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #92 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

I'm a little surprised at the results, I don't see how suicide can be considered not selfish. You're ending your life here on earth for whatever reason, and doing it solely for yourself. The only situation I could imagine it not being a selfish gesture would be doing it for someone else when you think your situation is horrible enough that it will never get better and you can help someone else (for example, sometimes people do it for life insurance, and that's definitely not a selfish reason). But I still voted yes, because 99% of the time you're doing it because other people are being hurt by a decision you make that effects many people in a bad way. I'm not trying to downplay how bad depression can be, or say people that commit suicide are weak or cowardly and I've been effected like many of you I'm sure. As for the disease argument, I'd make the same statement about alcoholism ad drug addiction. Yes it's a disease, but millions of people have conquered it before. If your an alcoholic or drug addict and you drink or do drugs instead of paying attention to your children, for example, regardless of how difficult it is not to you're making a selfish decision to go the easier route.