Music Banter - View Single Post - The Realm Of Soft Delusions - The Smashing Pumpkins' Discography Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
If Billy had done Machina directly after MCIS, I bet the record company would have fully supported the idea. I still think some of the songs on Machina I should have been replaced with stuff from Machina II. For example, cut "Raindrops + Sunshowers," and maybe "With Every Light" and add "Slow Dawn" and "Lucky 13" or "Dross." Machina needed some more rockers in my opinion.
I've had a good 10 years to absorb Machina I and I've decided that I actually like it just the way it is. The only reason you might get the feeling it needs more rockers is because of the length...try starting the album after "Heavy Metal Machine" and I promise those later songs will sound a lot better to your ears. Billy was never one to throw in a song just because it was a quick fix. He always tried to stick to his concept and put in what fit more, not what was more catchy (which is why I forgive him for clunkers like "We Only Go Out At Night"). Everytime a b-sides release came out, there were albums worth of songs that were just as good if not better than what was on the studio albums. Machina I was meant to be a very progressive album and punchy numbers like "Lucky 13" or "Dross" would have been too out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
Did Jimmy have a drug problom during the making of Gish?
It started escalating during Gish and the band recorded Siamese Dream in Georgia just to get Jimmy away from his contacts. He still managed to find more hook ups, especially since he was under such a huge amount of stress (according to Billy, Butch Vig wanted nothing less than perfection and Jimmy wasn't used to recording under such stringency). It came to a head during the MCIS tour when he and their keyboardist OD'd in a hotel room (the keyboardist died, Jimmy didn't).