Music Banter - View Single Post - One Very Important Thought: Dayvan Cowboy's Confessions As A BOC Nut
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Kayo Dot are a by product of Maudlin Of The Well ( same frontman) who mixed Black Metal with Jazz amongst other things and this would not have been possible if 70's Prog didn't exist. Merely because the 70's brought the greatest experimentalism of genre fusion than any other genre before or after.

Jazz, Funk, Opera, Folk and Electronica were all used within Prog parameters in the 70's to massively different results but it was still there before modern prog. Just not talked about and due to limited exposure (no digital age etc) means that it has to be unearthed and 'found' as opposed to being readily available on the net.

Gila= Electronica/Folk/Physedelic
Tangerine Dream= Electronica/Ambient/Guitars
to name two bands.

In fact Modern Prog seems much more limited to me and very few bands make it through my listening threshold and only bands that sound 'retro' have 'longevity'.

I really like The Mars Volta par example but their albums have no differentiation and most songs meld into one as they still use a standard guitar/bass/drum combo sound on a lot of their tracks.

Math Rock is a genre I really like ( Faraquet are awesome) but it still uses a standard 'Rock' set up. The whole purpose of prog was to introduce new instruments and make them listenable and indeed, adaptable and very few modern prog bands do that.

Prog=progressive and creating complicated rhythms doesn't mean that you are being progressive at all. Strectching boundaries beyond the usual set up IS Progressive.

Creating unusual time patterns with a basic set up is NOT progressive. I consider Dog Fashion Disco more progressive than say Battles easily.
Thank you, for writing the incredibly long rebuttal that I couldn't be arsed to create. Most new prog sounds like an over-produced wankathon. I think it's a bit of a stretch to throw post-rock and math rock into the prog genre, even though both genres certainly are progressive.

I do respect you for your opinion though, Dayvan, but to me, when I think of new prog I think of Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard and things of that nature, both bands that i can't really dig on.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote