Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Morrissey racist?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingpig437 View Post
Moz has sparked a new round of controversy and speculation that he's racist by saying 'You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies. in the context of talking about animal rights abuses in China. Why he couldn't have just said 'some chinese, like some people everywhere, are subhuman scum for the way they treat animals instead of libelling a whole nation is beyond me but there you go that's what he said.

Here's a few more of his eyebrow raising comments from down the years.

"all reggae is vile"

In his song Bengali in platforms he controversially sings 'life is hard enough when you belong here'. Thereby implying the character in the song doesn't belong in the uk.

Q: Do you think people are innately racist?
Moz-"Yes. I don't want to sound horrible or pessimistic but I don't really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other. I don't really think they ever will."

In 1992 he appeared on stage wrapped in a union jack the same year he released a song called The national front disco, which resulted in him being bottled off the stage and a front cover headline in the next issue of NME headlined 'Is Morrissey racist?'

In 2007 he did his first interview with NME for 15 yrs. which caused controversy and litigation. During the interview he said '"Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears."
His quote in full;

“Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can’t help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies.”

Note the emphasis on "You can’t help but feel..."
Taken out of context? He's made no secret of his stance on how this country treats animals.

A point about your "eyebrow raising comments".

"All reggae is vile." Hardly racist. Sounds like a man offering a personal musical opinion to me.

This next bit is interesting;

Q: Do you think people are innately racist?
Moz-"Yes. I don't want to sound horrible or pessimistic but I don't really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other. I don't really think they ever will."

That sounds like a man giving an honest appraisal. Notice how he answers the question. Not once does he refer to himself.

The song 'National Front Disco'. People write songs about all kinds of subjects. The fact that he wrote this song doesn't mean it follows that he agrees with the subject matter.

The litigation you refer to was Morrissey suing the NME.
Why's that then? Could it be because he's not racist?

"Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears."
Sounds pretty accurate to me. Same could be said about most countries.

Just in case anyone isn't sure, here's a quote from Morrissey in context;

“I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind and will not let this pass without being absolutely clear and emphatic with regard to what my position is…Racism is beyond common sense and I believe it has no place in our society.”

Last edited by right-track; 09-04-2010 at 09:15 AM.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote